a reflux free life
Indications: The LAP-BAND® System is indicated for weight reduction for patients with obesity, with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of at least 40 kg/m^2 or a BMI of at least 30 kg/m^2 with one or more obesity-related comorbid conditions.
• Underweight = Under 18.5
• Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
• Overweight = 25-29.9
• Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater
Contraindications: The LAP-BAND® System is not recommended for non-adult patients, patients with conditions that may make them poor surgical candidates or increase the risk of poor results (e.g., inflammatory or cardiopulmonary diseases, GI conditions, symptoms or family history of autoimmune disease, cirrhosis), who are unwilling or unable to comply with the required dietary restrictions, who have alcohol or drug addictions, or who currently are or may be pregnant.
Approved by the FDA in June 2001, the BioEnterics® LAP-BAND Adjustable Gastric Banding System is the least invasive, and the only adjustable surgical treatment for morbid obesity in the United States. It induces weight loss by reducing the capacity of the stomach, which restricts the amount of food that can be consumed. Since its clinical introduction in 1993, more than 120,000 LAP-BAND® procedures have been performed around the world.
Minimally Invasive Approach
During the procedure, surgeons usually use laparoscopic techniques (using small incisions and long-shafted instruments), to implant an inflatable silicone band into the patient's abdomen. Like a wristwatch, the band is fastened around the upper stomach to create a new, tiny stomach pouch that limits and controls the amount of food you eat. It also creates a small outlet that slows the emptying process into the stomach and the intestines. As a result, patients experience an earlier sensation of fullness and are satisfied with smaller amounts of food. In turn, this results in weight loss.
Least Traumatic Procedure
Since there is no cutting, stapling or stomach re-routing involved in the LAP-BAND® System procedure, it is considered the least traumatic of all weight loss surgeries. The laparoscopic approach to the surgery also offers the advantages of reduced post-operative pain, shortened hospital stay and quicker recovery. If for any reason the LAP-BAND® System needs to be removed, the stomach generally returns to its original form.
The LAP-BAND® System is also the only adjustable weight loss surgery. The diameter of the band is adjustable for a customized weight-loss rate. Your individual needs can change as you lose weight. For example, pregnant patients can expand their band to accommodate a growing fetus, while patients who aren't experiencing significant weight loss can have their bands tightened.
To modify the size of the band, its inner surface can be inflated or deflated with a saline solution. The band is connected by tubing to an access port, which is placed well below the skin during surgery. After the operation, the surgeon can control the amount of saline in the band by entering the port with a fine needle through the skin.
The LAP-BAND® System Advantages at a Glance
10 Rules of LAP-BAND®
• Eat only 3 to 4 small meals a day.
• Eat slowly and chew thoroughly.
• Stop eating as soon as you feel full.
• Do not drink while you are eating.
• Do not eat between meals.
• Eat only good quality foods.
• Avoid fibrous food.
• Drink enough fluids during the day.
• Drink only low-calorie liquids.
• Exercise at least 30 minutes a day.
Adjusting Your Lifestyle
• No eating in front of TV.
• No eating while reading.
• Pre-portion food.
• Get rid of tempting foods.
• Don’t go grocery shopping when hungry.
• Make a shopping list.
• Use small plates and bowls.
• Keep healthy food around and available.
• Focus on other activities besides eating.
• Brush teeth after meals.
• Do not eat standing up at parties or buffets.
• Do not stand at food table at parties.
• Offer to bring healthy food to parties.
• Park a distance away from destination.
• Take stairs instead of elevator.
• Keep a food and exercise diary.